Frequently Asked Questions

Office hours M-F 8:30am - 4:30pm 203-794-8509
This information is designed to provide answers to some of the questions taxpayers most frequently ask about property taxes. All questions concerning assessments, exemptions, elderly tax relief, and adjustments to motor vehicles should be directed to the Assessor. Questions about billings, tax balances due, amounts paid, and interest charged should be directed to the Tax Collector.

Q: When are taxes due?
A: Real Estate taxes are due quarterly, in July, October, January and April. Motor Vehicle and Personal Property taxes are due in one installment payable in July. Supplemental Motor Vehicle taxes are due in one installment in January. You have 30 days from the due date to pay without penalty.
CT General Statute 12-142

Q: What happens if I pay late?
A: Past due payments are subject to interest at the rate of one and one half percent per month from the due date of the tax, as required by state law. There is a minimum interest charge of $2.00.
CT General Statute 12-146

Q: Can the interest on my tax bill be waived?
A: No. The Tax Collector does not have the authority to waive interest. As the owner of taxable property, YOU are responsible to see that taxes are paid when due.
CT General Statute 12-146.

Q: I am being improperly billed for a motor vehicle. What should I do?
A: Contact the Assessor's Office at (203) 794-8507. DO NOT IGNORE YOUR BILL! You may be entitled to an adjustment, contact the Assessor for information.

Q: I need to register my car. Do I need to pay my taxes first?
A: Yes. If you owe delinquent property taxes on any vehicle in your name, you may not renew any registrations at the Department of Motor Vehicles without paying your taxes first. All outstanding taxes in your name (this includes any tax bill currently due but not yet delinquent) must be paid in full by cash, bank check, or money order for an immediate clearance. For payments made by check there is a 10-business day waiting period before clearance is issued.
CT General Statute 12-163 and CT General Statue 14-33

Q: My bill says "Back Taxes Due". What does that mean?
A: According to office records, there are past due taxes in your name or on the parcel of property in question. Back taxes and interest must be paid in full before a payment on current bills can be accepted. Any payment you make will be applied to back taxes first.
CT General Statute 12-144b

Q: What if I never received a tax bill?
A: Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from payment of all taxes and all interest charges.
CT General Statute 12-130

Q: I have moved. What is my tax jurisdiction for motor vehicle taxes?
A: The Town in which you resided as of October 1st will be the Town that you will receive a bill from the following July. If you move out of State after October 1st and registered a motor vehicle in the state where you have become a resident, you may be entitled to an adjustment. If the car was junked, stolen or sold before the end of August, you also may be entitled to an adjustment. Contact the Assessor's Office (203-794-8507) for the documentation necessary to process an adjustment.


If you move, you must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of your new address within 48 hours. Be sure that you request a change of address on your driver's license and on all of your vehicle registrations.
CT General Statute 14-17A

Q: Are there any breaks for senior citizens?
A: Yes, The State of Connecticut and the Town of Bethel allow for tax credits for homeowners who have reached the age of 65 or are totally disabled and are on limited income. To determine eligibility contact the Bethel Tax Benefit Coordinator at 203-794-8594.

Q: Could I be eligible for an exemption(s)?
A: You may be. There are exemptions available for Veterans who have served and are currently on active duty. Other assessment exemptions are for the blind and totally disabled resident taxpayer. There are statutory requirements that must be met for all the exemptions, contact the Bethel Tax Benefit Coordinator at 203-794-8594 for the details.

Q: Do I need to save my receipts?
A: Yes. Taxpayers are advised to save their receipts for 15 years, the length of time during which municipal taxes are collectable. You may review your payments online at

Q: Can I pay my taxes online?
A: Yes taxes can be paid online. Go to the Town of Bethel website Tax Collector's Department and click the link for online payments. When paying online do not wait until the last day to pay. The Town of Bethel is not responsible for website failure, power failure or internet errors.

Q: Can I view my taxes online?
A: Yes. All Tax information is now available online.