Under State Statute 7-74 effective October 1, 2009 the cost for a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate, Marriage License or Death Certificate will be $20.00.
Marriage and Death Certificates
Copies of Marriage Licenses and Death Certificates may be obtained by anyone. The person requesting the copy must fill out a request form and provide identification. If he or she is not listed as the bride or groom or is not a member of the family of the deceased, we will redact the social security numbers on the copy.
Examination of Birth Records
Access to birth records less than 100 years old is restricted in Connecticut. The only persons who may have access to or be permitted to examine the original or any copy of a birth certificate or birth record are:
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over eighteen years of age
- Such person's children, grandchildren, spouse, parent, guardian or grandparent
- (Note: a father has access only if he is recorded on the child's birth certificate)
- The chief executive officer of the municipality where the birth or fetal death occurred, or the chief executive officer's authorized agent
- The local director of health for the town or city where the birth or fetal death occurred or where the mother was a resident at the time of the birth or fetal death, or the director's authorized agent
- Attorneys-at-law and title examiners representing such person or such person's parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse
- Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the secretary of the state to do business or conduct affairs in this state
- Agents of a state or federal agency as approved by the department
- Researchers approved by the department pursuant to CGS 19a-25
Any eligible party requesting a copy of a birth certificate must provide verification of the relationship
entitling them to a copy of the birth certificate. Additionally, the requester must submit a government issued photographic identification, or, if a photo is not available, at least two of the following:
Telephone verification of any information concerning the birth or birth record is prohibited.
- A Social Security card
- Written verification of identity from employer
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill showing name and address
- Checking account deposit slip showing name and address
- Voter registration card