Bethel Municipal Center - 1 School Street,
Bethel, Connecticut 06801
(203) 794-8545 Fax: (203) 794-8144
Robert Dibble, Highway Superintendent
Mailbox Replacement Policy
It shall be the policy of the Bethel Department of Public Works that if any mailbox or post, is damaged as the result of snow removal operations, the responsibility for making repairs shall be borne by the property owner. The Department of Public Works will not be responsible for mailbox damage from snow being discharged from snow removal equipment.
When a mailbox or post is damaged by direct contact from our snow removal equipment, the following will occur.
- Inspection of mailbox and post to determine cause of damage
- Inspector will determine who is at fault (improper installation of mailbox) or (plow operator error).
- Following investigation, the mailbox or post will be repaired or replaced if the plow operator is at fault.
- Homeowners must notify the DPW within seven (7) days from the date of the storm to be eligible for repair or replacement,
Decorator mailboxes and posts that receive direct contact from snow removal equipment will be replaced with a standard mailbox and post.
*The majority of mailbox and post damage is the result of improper installation or maintenance. A properly installed and maintained mailbox will withstand the snow removal operations that occur during the winter months.
*It is very uncommon that a mailbox is directly contacted with snow removal equipment. The average number of mailboxes that receive direct contact from snow removal equipment during a snow storm is less than one percent.
*The Public Works Department will assist elderly or impaired property owners with repairing damage to their mailbox or post.